
This morning, before the dreaded alarm clock sounded, we woke up to the cheerful chirping of birds right outside our window. It instantly zapped me back to living in Rhode Island. I lived with my friend Holly in Riverside, right outside of Providence. Our apartment complex was surrounded by big, lush trees...which were beautiful...and were also the home to many, MANY birds...loud, VERY, VERY loud birds. The east coast in the summer is quite humid....my skin felt amazing and my hair frizzed out of control. Each night I would fall asleep with my bedroom windows open...the moist air filling my lungs with every breath. Each morning, in the daze and confusion of dream and reality, I would swear I was waking up in a rain forrest. I honestly have never heard such shrill, and persistant chirping. I may have, on occasion....yelled at them....did they KNOW it was 430 in the morning?! Did they KNOW I had to go to school all day and then work all night.... Did they KNOW they were beautiful, and equally maddening at the same time?!
So, this morning when I awoke...to the sweet chirping of a single, maybe two, birds outside our window.....I felt joy. I felt spring slipping in, and fantasic warm summer mornings right around the corner. so happy. Laying there beside my amazing husband...listening to the arrival of warmer weather and longer days....did that bird KNOW that he just made my entire day?...
No comments:
Post a Comment