Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shopping...


..was something I always took for granted. There was a Target down the street....an REI within minutes....a grocery store that I could stop by after work...and spend less than $20.00 for that evenings meal.

Sticker Shock.
That is something I'm STILL dealing with, living here in bush Alaska. There are no road systems in or out of Bethel....which means every single thing here....came by barge or by plane. Cars, houses, animals, gasoline, groceries. EVERYTHING. Which, in turn means that every single thing here is WAY more expensive, to even out the shipping costs. You just learn to deal with it. You do. $9.00 for a gallon of milk....sure....that's nothin'.... :) $3.50 for a can of chicken noodle soup.... pocket change! haha But all jokes aside, it is what it is. It could drive a woman CRAZY, if she thought about it too much...so I don't :) I just get SUPER excited and have WAY too much fun making lists of all the things I am going to buy when we go to Montana next week!! Costco has never been such an exciting destination!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You are absolutely right that we take all the convenience of living in a 'big' city for granted. Is it REALLY $9 for a gallon of milk? Sheesh. That's steep.

    And I guess I need to stop complaining about Boston winters... I'm sure we have nothin' on winters in Alaska!

    You're not driving to Montana, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup....$9.00 and some change for a gallon of milk. Isn't that crazy?!
    So far this winter has been somewhat mild, as far as snow goes...but it has been SO cold! The weekend of a big Sled Dog Race here in town it was negative 67 degrees with windchill! Ridiculous.
    We are flying home (to MT)... we DID make the drive up here last summer though...from Michigan to Montana...then up through Canada...Banff was AMAZING...and then up the Alcan Highway through Alaska. What a memorable roadtrip....I highly recommend it!! :)

    ReplyDelete