Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I wanted to be a cheerleader...


My parents have a video of me when I was younger...maybe in 3rd or 4th grade. My mom asking me the age old question..."Cara, what do you want to be when you get older?"... I had two responses to that..."A cheerleader...or maybe a nurse"

My younger sister Angela and I would spend hours out in the backyard...bare feet in the grass...making up cheers and dancing around. I remember anxiously awaiting for my dad to get home for lunch at noon, so we could show him our newest cheer. How great were those lazy days of summer...when my biggest concern in life was making sure Angela had every step and clap down just right. Haha. She has always been an amazing sister, companion, and friend...I am so blessed to have her in my life...

I knew that Nurses helped people...made them feel better when they were sick...and I knew I would like that. Well...a few years later...after one semester of Nursing at Boise State University...I knew Nursing was NOT for me.

It would be interesting to take a poll...ask people if they truly enjoy "what they do"...if performing their job makes them happy, and gives them fulfillment. How many people can honestly say..."I love what I do" ?

After high school...I spent the next few years of my life trying to answer Yes to that question. I went to a few different Universities...going into each one with a new and exciting major...took a few years off in between...and ended up moving across the country...from Montana to Rhode Island...looking for, and finding more than just a scholastic education.

I am now an Ultrasound Tech at University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor. That little girl inside of me still loves to dance around...and is so excited that after all these years, I've found a job where I "help people get better"...and I would absolutely answer YES, I love what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment